Gamedev Log: “The Escape” #10 (Unity/C#)

A daily log of how I program a basic Unity/C# game: “The Escape”!

This article is also available on Medium.

Today, it’s the last of my gamedev logs on a small Unity/C# game: The Escape!

These past two weeks, I’ve implemented all the core features of the game, and I’ve brought to life most of my original ideas 😉

All that was left to do was to add a bit of diversity in the obstacles, plus some UI texts and images to improve the ambiance!

The game is now playable online for free over here:

https://minapecheux.com/games/the-escape

Project rules:

  1. I post a new gamedev log every day with a new demo video
  2. I work 1 hour max per day on this project
  3. I need to have a new visual feature by the end of this 1 hour (it can’t be just bug fix and refactors)

Day #10: Background images, menu improvements & new obstacle types

Features & demo

To wrap up my first version of The Escape, I’ve decided to add various little quick-wins:

  • 2 new types of obstacles: the magnet that drags the ship towards on side of the corridor and slows you down if you try to go the other way, and the moving wall that goes up and down and forces you to adapt to go through the door
  • some improvements in the menu UI: I’ve added the title of the game and a little sub-bar to add the “mission order” – this will give the player a bit of context and it’s a first (baby) step in storytelling!
  • better backgrounds: instead of the solid dark blue I’ve had so far, I now have background sprites that are chosen at random for each section of the corridor (between two doors)

All in all, here’s a demo of the game after these ~10h of dev:

Of course, it’s just a first version and there are lots of things that could/should be improved. In particular, I wish I had more time to work on balancing the game, and making the random a bit more “controlled”… but it’s a viable prototype, and it’s done! 😉

A few details, tips & tricks

In order to get my moving walls to go up and down, I’m using a sinus function – this automatically gives me a periodic movement and moves the door back and forth.

For the sub-bar text in the main menu that appears letter by letter, I once again used coroutines.

Finally, contrary to the rest of the level, that is a set of 3D objects, the background sprites are simply 2D images that are pasted with sprites behind the doors. Those images are screenshot of 3D models with a bit of post-processing (some blur and hue/brightness/contrast) in Krita:

Conclusion

I’ve now finished the first version of The Escape, and the game is available to play for free online. It contains most of what I’d designed originally but, of course, I could add a lot more… and don’t forget I’m always open to comments with cool features for The Escape, version 2 😉

I really hope you enjoyed this series of Gamedev Logs – feel free to react in the comments and tell me if you’d like more!

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *